January 3, 2017
Abbott Set to Close Acquisition of St. Jude Medical, Inc.
January 3, 2017—Abbott Vascular announced last week that it intends to close the acquisition of St. Jude Medical, Inc. on Wednesday, January 4. The announcement follows the receipt of all regulatory clearances necessary for closing.
St. Jude Medical, Inc.'s portfolio of atrial fibrillation, heart failure, structural heart, and chronic pain products will complement Abbott Vascular's coronary intervention and mitral valve disease device porfolio. Additionally, Abbott Vascular will have a pipeline across cardiovascular and neuromodulation patient care.
According to the company, products that Abbott Vascular expects to commercially introduce in key markets during the coming years include:
- Portico transcatheter aortic heart valve for patients with severe aortic stenosis
- Absorb bioresorbable coronary stent in additional countries
- MitraClip transcatheter mitral-valve repair device in additional countries
- HeartMate 3 to treat patients with advanced stage heart failure
- EnSite Precision next-generation cardiac mapping system to visualize and navigate catheters in the heart during ablation procedures. The device received US Food and Drug Administration approval in December 2016
- ConfirmRx implantable cardiac monitor to help remotely diagnose and treat the most difficult-to-detect cardiac arrhythmias
- Proclaim DRG system (for delivery of precisely programmed electrical pulses to the dorsal root ganglion via stimulation leads) and other stimulation waveform technologies to provide more options for patients with chronic pain
Abbott Vascular's portfolio of diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic pharmaceuticals are available in more than 150 countries. Abbott Vascular employs approximately 74,000 people.